Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Apple Pie & Happy Memories....

Can you smell it???


In England we buy what we call 'Bramley Cooking Apples' for some reason in Canada you cannot buy that type of apple, so I have to use Granny Smiths, still nice but not the same as home!

I remember when my children were in their early teens, we used to rent a holiday cottage for 1 week in September or October in the countryside, one year we stayed at a cottage that had its own orchard where we were free to pick as many apple as we could use.   We used to have marathon Apple Pie making sessions, where my mum and nan would help me with the pastry and hubby and my dad would be there peeling away like billy ho!  Oh the pies we ate until we were all Apple Pie'd out!

Apple Pie with cream - Apple Pie with Ice Cream - Apple Pie with Custard - Apple Crumble with ......

In England you can get the most yummy Devonshire Clotted cream  which is lovely on Ice Cream, the cream starts to go hard on the Ice Cream, ahhh I wish I were in Devon.... 
http://www.bramleyapples.co.uk/

   

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmm.....I think I need to go get some apples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound homesick Sue!! I love apple pie, apple sauce.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sometimes I miss home, I love Canada but England will always be 'home'
    Something to with my daughters being there, their hubby's are both in the Royal Air Force ( one of them is away in Afghanistan at the moment) all the grandchildren are growing up without me :0(
    My eldest daughter Stephanie is expecting another baby in February so that pulls at the heartstrings as well xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use Granny Smiths too! I love a fresh apple pie! Have never tried clotted cream but I had heard how scrumptious it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pie looks delicious, we used Granny Smiths in NZ too. It must be hard having your daughters living in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love apple pies & crumble. I have to use granny smiths. A young welsh friend is always on about the Bramleys but i tell him he has to put up with the granny smith's as i can't get Bramleys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh nothing better than a Bramley Apple Pie, you've brought back wonderful memories of home for me too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, have a great day!

Animal Kingdom Birthday Card

Animal Kingdom Birthday Card
This is card I made for my Grandsons 5th Birthday, Apparently he liked the googly eyes the best!

Braydon & Alphabet Quilt

Braydon & Alphabet Quilt
Here is my eldest grandson with a quilt I made for him

Alphabet Quilt